Thursday, June 17, 2010

The Metropolitan Building

Dating from 1909, the Metropolitan Building, located in Long Island City, NY- first started out as an electrical parts factory. Seventy years later, it had long been vacant, sitting there desolate and in a sad state of disrepair.

In 1980, Eleanor Ambos, a successful business woman, with an antique furniture rental company, based in Manhattan, purchased the building for storage space and to accommodate a variety of artisans to set up their studios and workrooms. She undertook a massive restoration project, and today- The Met Building is one of the hottest locations for weddings, parties, photo shoots, & movie sets.


Hundreds of frames hung from the ceilings. This was one of the first rooms I came across, my first time at the building. When I wondered away from everyone else, I turned a corner and my jaw hit the floor. Immediately my heart started RACING with excitement. I knew there was a lot more to be seen here.







Lamps, lamps, lamps. What a collection!
 


Rows & rows of chests, side tables, cabinets, you name it- it's there.

  
Hundreds  of old antique chairs fill the second floor space...


...My Heaven.
 



 I was alone walking around from floor to floor and come across this statue. I could only look & snap her photo for a second. 



(all photos by theplushpad.blogspot.com) 

5 comments:

  1. This is heaven!! I will be following your blog :) Beautiful, Inspirational stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that place is unbelievable! How was it that you were there? Is it available for tours?
    Seriously fabulous... I can really get a sense of your state of awe!!
    Have the best weekend Jenelle!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had to come back by to thank you for your lovely anniversary comment. You are the sweetest thing and I so appreciate you :)
    Much love,
    Terri

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your anniversary is a cause for celebration! I'm just glad all of us in Blogland could be here to congratulate you both on the success of your marriage :)

    To answer your question...I've had the pleasure of shooting at the Met Building a couple of times & every time I'm there, I'm in awe. There's always something to look at; and last week, we were shooting in the (above) 2nd photos location. From the outside you would walk right past it, thinking it was a decrepit warehouse inside. But as the saying goes...never judge a book by it's cover ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. heaven is right! that place is amazing!

    ReplyDelete